Part Truck Driver, Gladiator and Mule

I can't do this entry without admitting that yes - I'm a junkie...a Starbucks junkie. Everyday I make my way to the nearest Starbucks, order my caramel macchiato and look forward to reading the inspirational quote on the cup. Today was no exception. For the last month I have been looking for inspiration for my next blog entry - and thanks to Starbucks I found one.

The quote on my cup today was #260 "Playing in an independent rock band will eventually make you equal parts truck driver, gladiator and mule. Glamour is for those with trust funds." It made me smile - sounds a lot like being an entrepreneur.

On Wednesday nights we've been teaching a class at our community college on starting a business. Just this past week we talked about the lifestyle of an entrepreneur and how especially in the early days you are a jack of trades, including the chief cook and bottle washer, I never thought to include gladiator and mule too!

The best part about the Starbucks quote is the recognition that many jobs include similar traits to that of a truck driver - you need to be able to multitask, maneuver in dangerous situations and arrive alive. Great way to think when you're running your business.

No comments: