Battery Power - your small business contingencies

One of the things that smart entrepreneurs will do is create and constantly monitor their "back-up" systems. Just like a trucker has their battery as a back-up to potentially keep their cab heated and emergency lights on if they have a breakdown on a deserted piece of highway, small business owners need to have their own contingencies in place for when they have a "breakdown".

The other day I experienced a properly charged "battery" in action. The automatic ticket printing machine in the municipal parking garage I was entering was not working. At the peak of morning traffic on a busy downtown intersection, this could have been a messy situation with people unable to enter the lot and clear the street. However, the battery was fully charged, and the situation was handled without problem. The staff person in the booth simply handed me a handwritten ticket with the time of my entrance on it, and when I left much later in the day, the new staff person processed this ticket without hesitation or trouble. Pretty impressive for a municpal government operation!

Is your small business battery charged up just as well?

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Matt - this one reminds me about the day at an office downtown when the power went out. The only source of back-up light was in the kitcheon (on the second floor). The problem was that to get the emergency kit and flashlight you had to travel in the dark up two flights of stairs and look through stacked cupboards. It reminded me to make sure in my office (and house for that matter) to not only make sure I had an emergency kit, but that it was easily accesible if an emergency to present itself.