Pet Peeve - Take my Money!

One of the things that drives me batty is having to wait for an extended period of time at the end of a meal for the waitstaff to finally bring a bill so I can pay and leave - no matter how good the service had been to that point, and how tasty the meal was, a bad taste can remain in my mouth if the final part of my experience is a disappointing one.

Lindsey talked about this a few weeks ago with our "Hotel California Complex" experience in Atlanta, and we experienced it again twice last week with one of the restaurants in the Toronto airport. We ate there on both legs of our trip to and from the JCI Canada National Convention in Calgary. Both times, the initial service was very fast, from bringing menus to bringing the meals.

But, both times, we had an extended wait to receive the bill. Of all the things any business could be slack about in serving their customers, I am continually amazed by the number who don't seem in any hurry to take my money!

The lesson for any small business is to ensure that the experience you provide your customers is a consistent one from start to finish. They should feel as important and appreciated at the end of their experience as they did at the start. If you are quick to bring me a menu and take my order, but then slow or negligent in letting me pay and get on with my day, it feels as though somehow while I was there I became less important to you.

In your business, are your customers attended to the same way throughout their experience, or do you leave a bad taste in their mouth by letting your attention dwindle?

No comments: