Pet Peeve - Things I Shouldn't Know

In Trucker Management, we talk about how your staff, not only their appearance but also their behaviour, are a big aspect within the interior of your business space, just like your decor, displays, etc.. One of my biggest pet peeves in business is having to endure listening to employees talk about things that I shouldn't know or have to hear about - crappy schedules, bitchy co-workers, or other gripes that reflect negatively on the business they are working for.

I was in a coffee shop in Manotick the other day, and while waiting for a bagel, learned about how two managers were hammered beyond comprehension the first time these two staff people met them (presumably not at work but at some non-work event). I learned, in far too much detail, about the way they slurred their words and vomitted on a lawn.

But perhaps even more importantly, because these two obviously have no regard for these managers in the way they spoke about them, neither then did I. My senses became immediately more acute for finding faults in the business operation, because I expected there to be some given the negative perceptions I had of the management without even seeing them. All of the sudden, the toaster was taking too long, the lobby floor was too dirty, and I was convinced somehow my order would be wrong when I got it.

This is an experience I have to endure far too often in many businesses. Watch and listen to your staff carefully. If they are having inappropriate conversations in from of customers, correct it immediately. You never know what I might learn about you that I don't want to know!!

No comments: