Behind the Barricades

I felt as though I was rushing the castle, jumping the moat and scaling the massive walls amidst flying arrows and boiling oil in an attempt to get to the fair maiden trapped in the tower.

I had to call an airline "customer service" line last night for our upcoming trip to Turkey, and found myself battling endless loops of automated responses, setting up digital voice ID's for my account, verifying passwords, giving up and returning no less than three different times. By the time I did figure out how to get behind the barricades and speak to a real live person, she was so very kind and helpful, eager to assist however she could, and it was a surprisingly positive experience.

Why they have to make it so difficult for me to get to that positive experience is beyond me. Had this not been a necessary question I needed answered, I would have long given up on trying to get through the barriers, and would never have had the positive part of the experience.

In your business, are there barricades that your customers have to surpass before they get the positive experience you work so hard to provide?

No comments: